As noted in posts below, my first trip to Europe was as a 13-year-old with parents and siblings ranging from 10 to 17. We flew on a propeller-powered, twin-tail Flying Dutchman from La Guardia to Gander for more fuel to Shannon, Ireland. From there we traveled (with stops) by train to Dublin, by ferry to Liverpool, and train again to London, where we picked up a brand new Volkswagen Microbus and explored England, Whales, and Scotland before departing Dover on the car ferry to Calais.Among photos of that trip I find this one of our bus parked almost underneath Paris's Eiffel Tower, which we throughly explored, including the complex and strong balancing machinery under each leg that compensated for wind forces.
As I revisit the photo I wonder if in today's complex and tense world one would be permitted to park any vehicle that close to one of the world's wonders.
No comments:
Post a Comment