13 January 2010

Flight Error

"Did you hear that big bang?"
"No, what big bang?"
"Just a few minutes ago, something in the house made a big noise," said M.
"I didn't hear it, I guess," said I.
"Perhaps the frost lifted a nail on the deck," I suggested, to a blank look and a shrug.
As the day went along I found myself looking in the basement for any possible source of the noise, to no avail. I also stepped outside to look onto the roof to see if something has fallen onto the roof.
Shortly after sunset, in the twilight of the evening, I looked outside through the slide-by at the bird feeder and noted that M should fill the feeder. As I turned away, I noticed something else, the feather-perfect image of a large bird in full flight against the slide-by glass, head on, from beak streak to chest and wings to tail feathers.
"I think I found the source of that loud bang this morning," I called to M ...

2 comments:

Katy Delay said...

Whoa. That's amazing.

Kim said...

At first glance I thought I was looking at a fuzzy picture of an actual bird! I'm glad your glass is still in one piece.