Back in 1962, when I drove from home leave to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, I paid some 35 cents a gallon for gasoline and my car got almost 18 miles to the gallon. According to those who monitor the value of our dollar, prices have risen about 6.7 times since then.Since the beginning of this year, my gasoline cost has averaged $3.24 a gallon. (I keep a spreadsheet on car costs.) My 2004 Forester gets 28.6 miles per gallon and is a far better and more reliable car than my 1958 Pontiac was, rust and all.
The above figures reveal that after allowing for dollar rust, in 1962 I paid a bit more than 13 cents for gasoline per mile run. So far this year, I have paid 11.4 cents per mile run.
And to make the miles even sweeter, today the same woman rides beside me as in 1962. Next month we celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary.
No comments:
Post a Comment